Story Artist (for future opportunities)
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ:
This job listing is NOT for a currently open position! We have created this posting as a way for us to connect with qualified Story Artist candidates for future opportunities. While we're not actively recruiting at this precise moment, Kuku Studios is anticipating more growth for our company in the near future and we'd love to start connecting with interested individuals.
Along with your resume and cover letter, submitting a link to your online portfolio is a critical component of a complete application!
Kuku Studios is a storytelling house focused on creating characters, experiences, and stories that enrich people’s lives. Whether it’s a feature film or an episodic series, we believe telling stories is a big responsibility. Stories should not only delight and entertain, but also challenge us to grow. At Kuku Studios, we’re committed to crafting content that captures truth and meaning in the stories we tell.
We're seeking Story Artist applicants for future opportunities at our studio headquarters in Berkeley, California! We are looking for artists who are enthusiastic about working in a smaller studio where they'll have the opportunity to write, pitch, and board ideas from start to finish.
Much of our creative leadership are themselves veteran Story Artists who have worked in the Story Departments of several animated feature films at Pixar Animation Studios. As a result, they are committed to creating a collaborative story process that provides for the best artist experience possible. Our goal is to create space for the team to grow artistically, contribute in meaningful ways, maintain creative ownership over their work, and have fun while doing it.
We are looking for artists who not only have the qualifications listed further below, but who are also excited to work independently as part of a small company.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with Directors and Showrunners to craft sequences and episodes from simple outlines, scripts, or even just a prompt
- Pitch material weekly to Story team, Directors, Showrunners, and other team members
- Re-work sequences and episodes multiple times in Story and in Editorial
- Support with Development material at the studio
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 1 year of professional experience as a Story Artist
- 3+ years of professional experience preferred
- Proficiency with drawing and storyboarding software (e.g. Photoshop, Storyboard Pro, etc.)
- The following essential Storyboarding skills and abilities as clearly shown in a Story Artist Portfolio:
- Artistic skill set showing strong draftsmanship, command over layout and staging, and the ability to show action through clear drawings
- Storytelling and writing skill set showing strong understanding of character, comedy, and narrative structure
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Take direction and feedback well and implement it into work consistently
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment with tight turnarounds
- Flexible with constantly changing production schedules and needs
- Kuku Studios, while a small company, offers a Benefits package that includes:
- Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- PTO Policy
- Company Holiday Schedule
- 401(k) with Employer Matching Contributions
- We strive to provide all of the above benefits at levels on par with the larger animation studios!